Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Puppy Personality Profiles (4/22)

I am frequently asked: “What can you tell me about _____ puppy?” It is an obvious and normal question to ask. My family and I are around the puppies all the time, so we are the “experts”. Usually, people can come out and get to know the puppies in advance, but since it is not legally possible to have people over to play with the puppies this year, I have decided to help in the best way possible.

I am posting “Puppy Personality Profiles” along with individual pictures and videos so you can see the puppies on their own.

Up Front Caveat: I try to encourage families to adopt puppies who have a similar personality to their own, but there is never a certainty. I can usually help people avoid complete opposites, but it is hard to know how a puppy will develop in each individual scenario. Families who like to sit on a couch and watch TV for hours and hours, should not adopt a dog that needs to run and run for hours and hours. (Well, maybe they should, but that’s a different topic.)
 
When people come to select a puppy, one of the greatest deciders seems to be which puppy is most quickly drawn to snuggling or playing with that family. Puppies I feel would be good fits are sometimes napping, and thus overlooked. If I really think there will be a dramatic difference, I’ll bring it up, but most 2-month-old puppies are very similar. Coat color, coat curliness, face shape and size, and other purely physical features are the most obvious points of differentiation.
 
With all of this in mind, I am going to do my best to give you some information on each puppy. I value my 11-year-old daughter’s opinion as well. Next to me, she spends the most time with each individual puppy. She is my “puppy whisperer.” My 14-year-old son loves the puppies too, but his attention gets back to playing soccer quickly.

I had each of us take an online survey about each puppy. We answered the questions independently, and then I averaged the results and those are what I will show you.
 
My wife, the scientist, is concerned I didn’t get a big enough sample size for the survey results; I am, however, just a computer nerd so I thought the online survey was “fun.” I hope this helps!