Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Puppies Turn 6 Weeks Old! (4/19)

Today is the day we have been waiting for! Well, one of the days. Today the puppies turn 6 weeks old, and they are now fully weaned from mom. I visited Piper today, in her regular home, and she is on her way for a relaxing, grooming spa day - maybe even a chakra hot-stone massage - and she's earned it!

Piper's serious look as she was starting out

Post-Spa Smiling Summer Cut

Over the course of the next 2+ weeks, I will slowly progress the puppies into eating solid, dry, food. They are now eating the same dry food, but I mix it with water and blend it into a gooey paste. This helps them in the transition from mom's milk to their normal food. The next step is soft wet food, unblended, and then, slowly, more solid and dry. They will all be used to dry kibble dog food before they are ready for final pick up.

As a reminder: the food I am using is Purina ProPlan Puppy "Focus" - Chicken and Rice formula. The company has been changing their packaging recently, and I think this is the current look of the bag:

Each puppy will go to their new homes with enough food for at least a handful of days. If you have a preferred brand of dog food, this will give you plenty of time to slowly transition them to the new food.

I'll post some new pictures a bit later, but now for the important info:

PUPPY PICK UP 

I have a Veterinarian appointment of Friday May 6th @ 9:00 AM. It is just down the road at Williamston Animal Clinic:

No, these were NOT all taken on ONE day! (It was just the afternoon! 🤣)

I expect to be home from the Puppy Check up by 10:00 on May 6th. I jokingly tell people that there will be people in my driveway, waiting for my return, so they can take their new puppy home -  and that is OK with me! 

I'll be reaching out to everyone soon so we can schedule an "approximate" time for everyone to come pick up their new puppy. I like to give everyone a few minutes to ask questions, and get everything settled, but I normally find it takes a very short time for pickup. 

OK. That's all for now. I have to go get something done outside. I'll post pictures soon!!

Thanks.